Skip to main content
Hello all! This is my new blog! This blog will be dedicated to give you news about my Shetland herd.

My goals as a Shetland breeder:
(1) Ewes with good mothering instinct and produce enough milk for their young.
(2) I want polled (unable to grow horns) rams and ewes in my flock.
(3) Soft fleeces! This is a must! I like an intermediate and kindly fleece. I personally do not care for the double coated fleeces, but each to his own.
(4) Eventually, I would like to get Shetlands with spotted fleeces. I find them very attractive! Who doesn't like spotted animals?
(5) I  do not want my sheep to be BIG. Some people breed them up for the show ring, but I like them as the small breed they are.

I hope you enjoy this blog!:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just Thinking...

   We had some friends over, and I was showing them Pete Moss, the ram lamb from Rose. I thought he carried AG (the fading gene) but it looks like he is also going to keep his spots. I am really pleased with this... I am considering keeping Pete Moss, and breeding him to Davina and her lambs, when they get old enough. I'm not sure if Davina is a poll carrier, so it would be nice to breed her to a polled ram, then I would have a 50 50 chance. Davina throws nice looking lambs, but their fleeces aren't as soft as I'd like. Any ways, it would be nice to get more spots into the flock. I love spots! Several years ago, my family and I bred Dalmatian dogs. But because my little brother developed allergies to dogs, we got out of it. As much as I like Pete Moss, I still have him listed for sale. There is still time for him to fade, so we will see how it plays out. Have a good day!

Lamb Names

   I have names for three out of the four lambs thus far. Like most Shetland breeders, I chosen a theme in which to name my lambs :  Famous Children Lit. Names.    I named the first ewe pictured below Lil' Hopper's   Velvet from the book National Velvet. The next ewe I named Lil' Hopper's Black Beauty. (Note: The North American Shetland Sheep Association requires all registered lambs to have flock prefixs, mine is Lil' Hopper's) The little ewe lamb from Alberta is Lil' Hoppers Winn-Dixie.    I need help on the ram, any ideas?