Skip to main content

The Good Shepard

    Something happened yesterday that made me think. Well, I was putting the lambs and the sheep in the barn for the night, and Pete Moss decided that he didn't want to be caught, he wanted to do what his little heart desired. I spent hours trying to catch him, or at least trying  to run him into the barn. He would have no part of it. I had just about caught him and he got away from me. I was about in tears, I had spent hours trying to catch one lamb that didn't want to be caught. Then a thought struck me. In the Bible we are mentioned as being 'the sheep of His pasture'. How many times have we run from the Good Shepard to do what we want to do when all the Lord was trying to help us, or in better terms, save us from ourselves? I was upset about one lamb who wasn't listening to my instruction. I wonder how heartbroken the Lord must be for almost the entire world is running from him. 
   Thats all for today. 
        Signed,
    A Willing Sheep

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello all! This is my new blog! This blog will be dedicated to give you news about my Shetland herd. My goals as a Shetland breeder: (1) Ewes with good mothering instinct and produce enough milk for their young. (2) I want polled (unable to grow horns) rams and ewes in my flock. (3) Soft fleeces! This is a must! I like an intermediate and kindly fleece. I personally do not care for the double coated fleeces, but each to his own. (4) Eventually, I would like to get Shetlands with spotted fleeces. I find them very attractive! Who doesn't like spotted animals? (5) I  do not want my sheep to be BIG. Some people breed them up for the show ring, but I like them as the small breed they are. I hope you enjoy this blog!:)

Just Thinking...

   We had some friends over, and I was showing them Pete Moss, the ram lamb from Rose. I thought he carried AG (the fading gene) but it looks like he is also going to keep his spots. I am really pleased with this... I am considering keeping Pete Moss, and breeding him to Davina and her lambs, when they get old enough. I'm not sure if Davina is a poll carrier, so it would be nice to breed her to a polled ram, then I would have a 50 50 chance. Davina throws nice looking lambs, but their fleeces aren't as soft as I'd like. Any ways, it would be nice to get more spots into the flock. I love spots! Several years ago, my family and I bred Dalmatian dogs. But because my little brother developed allergies to dogs, we got out of it. As much as I like Pete Moss, I still have him listed for sale. There is still time for him to fade, so we will see how it plays out. Have a good day!

Lamb Names

   I have names for three out of the four lambs thus far. Like most Shetland breeders, I chosen a theme in which to name my lambs :  Famous Children Lit. Names.    I named the first ewe pictured below Lil' Hopper's   Velvet from the book National Velvet. The next ewe I named Lil' Hopper's Black Beauty. (Note: The North American Shetland Sheep Association requires all registered lambs to have flock prefixs, mine is Lil' Hopper's) The little ewe lamb from Alberta is Lil' Hoppers Winn-Dixie.    I need help on the ram, any ideas?